Wednesday, January 23, 2008

SECRET TO A LONG MARRIAGE......

SECRET TO A LONG MARRIAGE:



A man and woman had been married for more than 60 years. They hadshared everything. They had talked about everything. They had kept no secrets from each other except that the little old woman had a shoebox in the top of her closet that she had cautioned her husband never to open or ask her about.
For all of these years, he had never thought about the box, but oneday the little old woman got very sick and the doctor said she would not recover.In trying to sort out their affairs, the little old man took down the shoe box and took it to his wife's bedside.She agreed that it was time that he should know what was in the box.When he opened it, he found two crocheted dolls and a stack of moneytotaling $95,000. He asked her about the contents . "When we were to be married," shesaid, " my grandmother told me the secret of a happy marriage was to never argue.
She told me that if I ever got angry with you, I should just keep quiet and crochet a doll."

The little old man was so moved; he had to fight back tears. Only two precious dolls were in the box. She had only been angry with him two times in all those years of living and loving. He almost burst with happiness."Honey," he said, "that explains the doll, but what about all of this money? Where did it come from?""Oh," she said, "that's the money I made from selling the dolls."
The Prayer....... Dear Lord, I pray for Wisdom to understand my man; Love to forgive him;And Patience for his moods; Because Lord, if I pray for Strength, I'll beat him to death........ because I don't know how to crochet.

11 Comments:

Blogger Cindy said...

Oh boy, here we go...lets see I think some day when your on your death bed I'll show you my shoe box full of about a million dollars. Also I think I'm in such good shape from taking the advice to take a walk or jog when an argument comes up.... :)

your Hubby

January 23, 2008 at 8:46 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Better yet just keep quiet and learn how to crochet so that when you die I'll have a shoebox full of money. TeeHeee

January 23, 2008 at 8:52 PM  
Blogger Iditadad said...

That's perfect you two. Now I know what to pray for and what not to pray for. Right now I am cross stitching instead of crocheting. Lots of love. WoW

January 23, 2008 at 9:30 PM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

Oh man I think I am going to stay out of this one! But... since I sense some hostility here I am going to give my marraige advice. (Which by the way I have not mastered, just Rob.) It goes like this...

Once upon a time there was a woman who felt like she was not appreciated at all. She was so tired of her marraige that she decided she was going to leave her husband. BUT before she did she decided that she was going to do everything for her husband so that when she left, he would be really sorry! And she did. She got up and made him breakfast, made the bed, set out his clothes, handed him the newspaper, made him a special cup of hot cocoa, put a chocolate on his pillow (you get the idea). Well an amazing thing started to happen. As she served her spouse her feelings started to change from that of anger and frustration to that of love and a desire to stay with him. She saw a change in the way he looked at her and the way he treated her. What was once a fragile marraige was made stronger.

And as I said before, I am not so good at taking this advice but Rob has mastered it well and I am grateful to him for that.

January 24, 2008 at 7:09 AM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

Ok, I don't know where that novel came from, but if you know anyone on the verge of divorce send them this way!

Sorry about that tangent.

By the way your post was really funny. I need to find Rob's shoe box so we can pay our bills!

January 24, 2008 at 7:12 AM  
Blogger Tamster said...

That's a great idea! I'll have to learn to crochet! No never mind; that would be a frustration in and of itself. Then again, maybe it would help keep me from getting angry because I'd know I'd have to crochet. Then again, I probably just wouldn't do it, so then we'd be back to square one. So maybe it isn't such a great idea. Then again...
Okay, I could go in circles over and over about this. Thanks for the laughs, y'all! :-)

January 24, 2008 at 8:01 PM  
Blogger DrGooch said...

Yea, Chantra has the hull of a cargo ship just loaded with the dolls she made this year alone. Its what happens when you get off your medication. Don't worry...I'm back on the "get-the stupid-out" pills.

January 25, 2008 at 9:25 AM  
Blogger Perfect Moments Photography said...

Great post!! I had a great laugh....hee hee hee!

I have a new blog up!!

Love ya

January 26, 2008 at 8:09 AM  
Blogger shauna said...

So is that why chantra went on the cruise, to sell her dolls?

I can't wait to find out what's in Kepi's shoe box. Hope it is valuable and not just full of pnut shells, orange peels or watermelon rinds. He eats those a lot.

January 28, 2008 at 11:17 AM  
Blogger HuckFinnsMom said...

I think I would have taken the advice to crochet the dolls, but nobody said anything about saving the money in the box. I think the sweetest revenge would be the enjoyment of the profits entirely on my own.

January 28, 2008 at 11:25 AM  
Blogger TiMi said...

Dear Cindy,
I came across your nice story only about a year ago. Since then I went through many things hard to relate. I just wanted to thank you for this nice story. We only come to really appreciate good things when we lost some of them. This is what the story taught me. Or maybe it just confirmed the lessons of what I went through. Anyway, thank you again. I hope you will read my post, since as I can see there was no activity with your blogs for the last years. All the best to you and your family.

December 11, 2011 at 2:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home